You’ve made the choice to move, so now the headache begins. You’ve got to get everything sorted and decide what needs to move with you and what you can throw away. Moving is a stressful time, so hopefully by reading on, our tips offer a little bit of solace to you and make things that little bit easier.
- Consider moving things yourself – Is it worth doing things on your own? It could certainly be cheaper than hiring a man with a van, or using a removal firm, however weigh up the amount of physical work it would take you to move and see what you think then.
- Consider your best day for moving – If you are using a removal firm especially. Certain days of the week are what could be considered ‘peak’ times, so these days will cost you considerably more to engage their services. Midweek dates are usually the cheapest, so if you can facilitate the move on this day, I would recommend it.
- Don’t take unnecessary clutter – Have a good sort through all of your belongings, and anything that you really don’t need to take with you, don’t. Put it up for sale, donate it to a charity shop, whatever it is you want to do with it. Taking excess baggage with you will increase the value of your quote.
- Don’t pay for moving materials – Storage boxes can be found in a lot of supply stores, but with the amount you are likely to need to pack all of your goods, they can prove costly. Instead of paying for them, go to your local newsagents / supermarket and ask them for any unused boxes they have. Boxes used for office supplies, crisps, etc., are all sturdy enough for you to use and won’t cost you a penny.
- Double Label all boxes – There is nothing worse than getting to your new location and unpacking, but then finding that the one place you put the label on to tell you what was in the box is covered. An easy way to combat this is to label the box at least twice, once on top and once at the side. This means that if one is covered, the other would usually be visible, therefore making your job easier.
- Pack all boxes to maximum capacity – Always pack your boxes so that they leave little to no room for movement. This will make the boxes easier to transport and also drastically reduce the risk of damaging or breaking anything within them.
- Insurance – Make sure that you have adequate insurance in place to cover any issues that may arise whilst in the process of transporting your goods from location to location. Removal firms should offer this, but double check to be sure, and home insurance policies are well worth checking too.
Hopefully these 7 tips serve you well with your move, all that is left for us to say is HAPPY MOVING DAY!